Monday, March 11, 2013

Launch Party

Does the world need more commentary on Magic: The Gathering, sealed and draft play in particular? If the answer is "no"...too bad.

I played MtG in the late 90's, but left it after a while. About 18 months ago, I came back to the game and was intrigued by a format that wasn't around the first time I played: limited. Crafting your deck on the fly was both cheaper and more strategically interesting than constructed formats, and I was hooked all over again.

In the past year and a half my game has improved dramatically. My match win percentage is strong (~70%, yes, I keep records). I've top-16'd a couple of limited PTQs (almost there!). My MTGO Limited rating is consistently between 1800-1900, and I also consistently place in the top in weekly drafts at my local game shop. I'm not in the very upper echelons, but I'm an above-average player. I got there in part through practice and play, but also study, watching draft videos on MTGO Academy and Channel Fireball, and also listening regularly to the Limited Resources podcast. If you're wanting to improve your Limited game, these resources help immensely.

I like talking about MtG, too, so I wanted a place to put down some of my thoughts and experiences with the game. My goal is to continue to improve, and I think talking out loud, while debating approaches, opinions, and strategy in the comments, will help my game, and hopefully some of the people who choose to read this blog as well.

Let's begin!

No comments:

Post a Comment